I was studying about the Stanford Online School in California and came across an idea that CBSE, ICSE, IB, and State boards can consider this academic year and the next.
How about schools begin to enrol pupils as “Regular” students and “Online” students?
These boards could be a trendsetter if one of them decides to register students in this style, considering the pandemic is not nearing its end anytime soon. In my opinion, this will help in the following ways:
1. We could help establish the “new normal” and help those parents scared of sending their children to school just as yet.
2. This will be a big relief for parents who are not wanting to send their children to school until there is complete safety from COVID-19. (In a survey conducted recently, more than 50% parents are ready to wait till the danger of COVID-19 is not over).
3. This will open doors for home tutoring which is the need of the hour and a choice of many parents these days, in the USA and other developed countries.
4. This will enable schools to open with reduced strength and still keep the children at home usefully engaged and gainfully employed without the worry of missing regular classes. The anxiety of Social Distancing, within the schools, will be reduced if not eliminated.
5. It is a chance for the boards to be innovative and become a trendsetter in the Indian educational scenario.
6. It will help many, many medically pre-conditioned children to continue their education in the safety of their homes.
7. Children can use the power and facility of a variety of teachers from across the world to enhance their learning.
8. It will assist those gifted students, too, who are engaged in activities and pursuits beyond the classroom and need time for that. Say, professional golfers, tennis players, sporting athletes and other innovative learners who are travelling a lot and missing out on school time. This will enable students to engage in pursuits beyond the realm of classroom education and reduce the time utilised in travelling to school every day.
9. This will also assist to enhance critical thinking and depth of knowledge among students. Online Teaching helps tremendously towards self-learning.
10. It will enable easier and effective conduct of the Board Exams for 2021 and the children will not suffer.
11. Those registered as Online Students could easily take their exams from nearby centres.
Please give these suggestions a serious thought. I feel this could be a great success and a great chance to move away from the old-school-of-thought with being innovative.
(The author wishes to remain anonymous)
It’s time to reopen schools safely, it’s time to give children...Read more
Lt. Col. Sekhar shares some uncomfortable questions which all...Read more
A smart leader would know that during the adaptive phase it...Read more
An opinion article by a leading educationist and an avid holistic...Read more
Interesting things we can learn from mathematicians.Read more
Practise differentiation to meet the needs of all learners....Read more
The recently announced National Education Policy tries to address...Read more
New Education Policy 2020 has been announced on 29 July, we review...Read more
The transition back to regular operations may not be as smooth as...Read more
Let's learn about the disruptions that have come in the form of...Read more